Friday, October 16, 2009

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Sleepy Heads

Some of you may be wondering, why am I up writing on our blog at 7:20 on Friday morning? Do not worry my friends, your question will be answered in time. I told Seth the next blog post was his. But as it has been an insane week (that's an understatement,) I thought I would fill you all in, in case you think we've dropped off the planet.
The main thing that has been weird about this week is my sleeping pattern. You must first understand that usually, I am ALWAYS sleepy and most nights fall asleep on the couch or love sac and Seth has to drag me into bed. And of course, as college students we never get enough sleep anyway which probably makes it worse. Well Saturday, Seth and I stayed up pretty late. Maybe 3 or 4ish? At the end of the evening, Seth was sitting on the couch reading his book, so I went and sat down next to him; expecting to fall asleep as I always do. However, when he was finished reading and said my name, I was surprised to find that I had not fallen asleep. We got in bed and soon, Seth was breathing deeply. I was still wide awake! It was the strangest thing because I knew I definitely had not slept enough the week before. I should be exhausted! The rest of the night was spent with my eyes wide open staring into the darkness. It felt like I was thinking deeply about something but I could never figure out what that something was. I may have drifted out a few times but they were only for a few minutes each. When Seth got up for church, I hadn't slept the whole night. I think he was a little worried but I felt fine!
We went to church and even when Seth's eyes were drooping, I was completely awake and alert. When the closing hymn started, I took a deep breath to start singing. Suddenly, I couldn't get any air. My lungs closed up and for a minute, I was in shock. For those of you who don't know, I have asthma. After the hymn, Seth asked me why I hadn't sung. I told him I thought I'd had an attack and it was still a little hard to breathe. Now, this is strange because usually I have attacks from exercising or when the air quality in Utah is really bad. I've never had one from trying to sing before. At the same time as I was trying to get some air back in my lungs, my head and stomach started hurting. Seth suggested we go home so I could use my inhaler. I did and started shaking. He was worried but that's what the medication does to me, especially after an attack. Then, since we had been fasting, Seth got me some food in hopes that it would help my stomach. It did. Thank you sweetheart. However, the headache was still there. It was in the same place as where I get my tired headaches; right above/behind one of my eyes. Weird stuff.
Later that night, my old roommates invited us to dinner. It was so good to joke around with them again and we had a lot of fun. They made us salmon with pasta (SO GOOD,) salad, biscuits, and choc chip cookies with caramel for dessert. It was a great Sunday night.
When we got home, it was later than we'd anticipated. I still had quite a bit of homework to do since I knew the next week would be crazy so we went to bed and I set my alarm to get up really early to do homework. Four hours later, I was up and going and not the least bit sleepy. Mmmm, this was getting a bit strange. But oh well, I wrote my paper and then went to school.
A similar thing happened on Monday night. I got a little more sleep but when I woke up, I was not at all tired. this equaled approximately 10 hours of sleep for 3 nights. Strange. And day by day, I was becoming more awake and alert to the point where I was getting a little hyper. On Tuesday, I dropped Seth off at work and had an hour or so before I had to meet in the library to prepare for a group presentation. I realized that my current situation probably wasn't healthy so I decided to just put the seat back and take a quick nap in the car. It took a while to fall asleep but finally, I crashed. My body had finally had it and I slept through my group meeting. Woops. I drove home, emailed my group, and went to bed. I didn't wake up until I had to go get Seth. Woohoo, I was finally sleeping again! Although now, I was SO tired. It seemed impossible to get out of bed in the mornings.
Wednesday was a crazy crazy day for me. I had a paper due in my first class, a group presentation in my second, and a speech to give in my third. I did all I could to prepare the night before but by the time I went to bed, I hadn't really gotten anything done. The next day was going to be interesting...
I went to my first class and although I was not fully prepared, we didn't even go through the things I hadn't done. What a blessing. AND I found out I didn't have that class on Friday! (Which is why I'm still home. It usually starts at 8.) For the group presentation, the was a lot of craziness. The group before us had presented what we thought was our chapter so we hadn't known what to do. Apparently, none of the group members had met so we had not decided what to present or how to split it up. So we met a half hour before our class started and put together the random resources we had all collected in hopes it might pass for a real presentation. Luckily, my portion was just questioning some of the traditional ethics of journalism which started a long debate and my professor became very involved in the discussion. This took most of the time and finally, I had to cut it off so the rest of the group could present. At the end, my professor told me great job and he really liked the discussion I provided. YES! This day was going great so far!
The next task, my speech. I was to give a four minute informative speech, mostly from memory, to my public speaking class. Problem? I hadn't yet prepared my speech. The week before, my instructor had informed us that he hoped we'd all practiced our speech at least a few times. I hadn't even picked a topic. By the day of the speech, I had finally picked a random topic about a modern cultural trend, but I had not put together my research, let alone written out the speech or practiced. I finished writing about an hour before my class started. While I was straightening my hair, I had the speech on the mirror and tried to memorize it as I worked. This wasn't really that effective. By the time I went to my class, I had not practiced my speech out loud. Oh great, this was going to be good. To make matters worse, we were being filmed which made me all the more nervous. And when I got to class, I realized I'd left my visual aid at home. With shaking hands, I gave my speech the best I could. I am sure it wasn't great but I did my best. Good news? I finished exactly on the 4 minute beep. Perfect timing! And now it's over so I've decided not to worry about it any more. *sigh of relief* I made it through the impossible day!
Now on to the latest installment of the story. I woke up and it was really dark. I knew I didn't have to get up for class but Seth did. He was moving so I asked him what time it was. He started laughing and I was really confused. He asked what time I thought it was. I didn't know and he kept laughing. This was getting frustrating, why was he laughing? Finally he asked me if I remembered going to bed last night. I didn't. Then, I remembered that we had both been so tired that we'd decided to take a nap. We knew we wouldn't be very productive when we were that tired. That was at 5:30 on Thursday night. Now, it was just after midnight, Friday morning. Holy Cow! Seth had gotten up at 10:30, thinking the same thing, that it was morning. Once he realized that, he got up and did some homework, then came back to bed around the time I woke up. He'd gotten about the same hours of sleep that we usually get, and I'd had more. We turned on the lights and read for a bit, then went back to bed around 1:30? 2? I woke up at 7 and couldn't get back to sleep, which is why I'm writing on this blog. Seth is still in bed but will have to get up for his class in a little bit. But what a crazy night! Great finish to such a crazy week haha!
Sorry if this was really confusing and hard to understand. I am still a little bit in sleep mode so my brain hasn't quite been activated for the day. And you lucky readers have the pleasure of seeing how I think when I first wake up! Lucky you!
As for this weekend, this is what I want to do:
  • RELAX! Hardcore.
  • Go to the temple (last night was ward temple night which, guess what, we slept through!)
  • Go up in the mountains. Autumn is my favorite season and going up the canyon to see the leaves is one of my favorite things in the world. I love just walking through the trees and watching the leaves float down. It is so serene and breathtaking.

Also, for those who don't know, Where the Wild Things are came out this weekend! I think it was last night. That was one of my favorite books as a child (like many people) and I am super excited to see the movie. The New York Times gave it a great review this morning so I cannot wait!!!Well that's about it. Now you've had an update on our lives. At least my side of the story. I will try to get Seth to write on here soon. I hope you've all had a great week and happy weekend!!!

*amber*

2 comments:

  1. Haha... so reading this post made me tired. All that talk of sleep. And when I'm pregnant I can pretty much take a nap ANY time of day! I'm glad your all caught up and I hope you two have a lovely weekend... I know I plan to :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That totally sucks! I HATE it when my sleep pattern is freaky. :( But I am SOOOOO glad that you guys came over for dinner! It was good to see you two. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails