Saturday, June 5, 2010

Home Sweet(er smelling) Home

As hoped, I am now in a much better mood. Everything was sorted out with the leak and the carpet (well, hopefully. I guess we'll see when it rains again) and we can breathe the air in our apartment without feeling nauseated.

The plumber finally came on Wednesday and decided that it was because our rain gutter was plugged up with leaves and stuff so water just kept building up and dripping down our outside wall; which is growing a lovely trail of moss all the way down. Beneath that, the cement kind of dips and has a crack, so he thinks that is how the water got in. I sure hope he's right. And I hope someone comes to re-cement that soon.

Wednesday when I got home from work, this is what I saw:

The carpet had all been pulled out and underneath was this old tile. I thought it could have been kind of pretty just to leave the tile and fix it up a bit... am I crazy? :) It would be like those old houses where they pull up the carpet to find nice hardwood floors because that's what people used to put under carpet. They just have to refinish it and... voila! Beautiful antique hardwood floors!

Anyway, there was that white junk plastered all over the floor and the only place you can actually see the tile is where, I'm guessing, the water washed it off. You can see in the picture where most of the water damage would have been. The wall with the window is the back wall where the water came in from. Where I'm standing is in the kitchen door. The water traveled all the way across the room. 

Thursday, some guys came to put in new carpet. This is what I saw when I came home from work:

Hm... brown carpet eh? I sort of feel like we're living in the 70's now... Groovy.

But hey, at least we have carpet right? And it's dry. And it's not as thick or padded so if we leak again, the water won't have as much room to soak in and start growing things. 

So now we can start putting our house together again! Huzzah! I can't wait to have things back to normal. We can finally sleep in our own bed again! I haven't even gone grocery shopping since we've been home from our trip because I didn't want to cook food with mold spores all over it. 

Yuck... I need to stop thinking about it. Just remembering disgusts me...
Happy Saturday everyone!


*amber*

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails