Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Dickson Dream Home: Numero Uno

So I have a confession to make. We are officially obsessed with having our own house. Someday. Far far in the future. When we don't have to worry about school anymore... Anyway, we've fallen in love with the idea of having a real home someday. You know, a place that won't be infested with spiders but have landlords that won't pay for pest control. A stove that won't randomly start the washer and dryer instead of the burners... oh yeah. That will be the life.

It all started this Summer. We've spent a lot of time at my parents' house this Summer for family events, things to do up in Salt Lake, etc. Every time we're there, we watch tv. Bad habit, I know, but we don't have tv so we take advantage of it when we can. Usually, the television ends up on HGTV. Thus, we have been watching lots of shows like "My First Place" and "House Hunters". And guess what? We've caught house fever! (Oh ya, and I've been watching Design Star on hulu all season... This is not a good combination)

As a consequence, our conversations lately have consisted largely of layout discussions, theoretical design questions, landscaping ideas, and plans for our future home. Now let me tell you, our dream home is turning out to be quite the little pad... completely state of the art of course.

Since our future nest has been on my mind so much lately, I've been noticing things that I like and good ideas everywhere. So I've decided to put some of those things on our blog. That way, I'll have easy access to all of my good ideas and I don't have to worry about forgetting things.

Thus begins... THE DICKSON DREAM HOME PROJECT! 
By: Amber and Seth Dickson


* * *


Many of my favorite ideas and inspirations have come from pretty pictures I've seen. Photographed rooms and homes always look so perfect don't they? But what happens when you take a closer look? Often, you find a lot of vignettes of random objects that don't necessarily go together, and furniture pieces that serve absolutely no function. But hey, they always photograph well, right?

Recently, I happened upon this blog by LA comedian Molly Erdman (who you might recognize from the Sonic commercials.) She takes pictures from catalogs and adds a story based on what is in the picture. I guarantee, as you follow Gary and Elaine through their perfectly photographed world, you won't be able to help falling in love with this blog and its perfect satire.

Here's one of my favorites:



The only things Elaine treasures more than her prized blue and white urn collection are the framed drawings of her blue and white urn collection.


Visit Catalog Living to see more goodness.



*amber*

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails