Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Love Me

Valentines Day is coming up! And let me tell you, I LOVE my sweet husband so so much. I could go on and on about it for days. And probably will in several posts to come leading up to the big day (beware- it's my first V-day not single ok?)

Anyhow, this post is not about my love for my husband. Although he did inspire me. So really, it all goes back to him. I love him. But I'm getting sidetracked again. Later! I'll write about him later. This Valentines Day, I'm going to love my husband, but me too!

Today in my Women's Studies class, we talked about body image. Although it ended up being a sort of cliche discussion about women's body image, I spent most of the class evaluating my own self esteem.

And you know what? When it all comes down to it, I don't really like myself as much as I probably should! This is where it goes back to Seth. He tells me every day that he wishes I knew how good I am. Although I think he is really just blinded by love, it's true, I don't usually see very much good in myself.

And let's face it, I deserve a little more credit than that. I have been working my butt off this semester, I've done a lot of really cool things in my life, and I'm trying to make myself a better person. No, I'm not anywhere near perfect yet, but really who is? There are too many aspects in life to excel at all of them. We can only do so much.

I think that's what my problem is. I expect too much of myself. Sometimes I need to remind myself that there are only 24 hours in a day.

Now on to the image I have of myself (physically) because, let's face it, as women that has a HUGE affect on our self esteem. I grew up a dancer so I've always been very critical of my body. For New Years, I made a resolution to work out twice a week. Well... I haven't had time to get around to it. Now, although I still really want to and know it would make me feel healthier, I've been beating myself up about it too much. Almost every day I look in the mirror and feel fat. But I'm not really! Yes I've gained some weight, but Seth still continues to tell me I'm beautiful. From now on, I'm going to try and believe him. Yes, I do want to make it to the gym, but until weight becomes a health issue, I'm doing enough for now. I deserve to be satisfied.

There is far too much pressure to be perfect all the time. Down to the smallest pimple on our faces or split ends on our hair... This must stop now!!!

I saw this video on the Eliza Magazine blog. Eliza is a modest fashion magazine and they embrace real women more than any other fashion magazine I've seen. Anyway, I loved the video. Enjoy!


It just made me want to celebrate myself!!! A lot of those people said things about themselves that I have too and would usually be considered (flaws). However, those are the things that make us different and beautiful.

So, starting today, I will write at least three things I love about myself every day until Valentines Day. I'll start mostly with physical because that is what affects me a lot of the time. Here goes:
  • I love my kaleidoscope eyes that change colors all the time and have almost every color imaginable in them (really)
  • I love my freckles. I know they said it in the movie but I do. And freckles is Seth's new nickname for me. I think it's cute :)
  • I love my fair skin. No I don't tan in the summer, and that's ok. It suits me.
  • I love my curly hair. It's hard to manage sometimes but it's me. Quirky and unruly and crazy.
  • I love my feet. They are not small or delicate or thin... my mom used to call them flinstone feet. But I like 'em nonetheless. I think they're cute and unique. Who needs to fit into crazy uncomfortable stilettos anyway?
  • I love me!
One girl in my WS class is a counselor for high school aged girls in Salt Lake. For one of their sessions, she brought in mothers of some of the girls. Then she asked them to tell the group what was good about them. They all became uncomfortable and didn't know what to say. How sad for their daughters to see them that way! Likely, that's how the daughters have learned to view themselves as well.

I couldn't help but think of my mother. She has always been physically fit and beautiful. She works hard in everything she does and makes sure to maintain her physical health. However, I've never once heard her complain about looking fat or ugly. Never. Not even over the holidays when we eat and eat and honestly, she probably has gained weight, yet she stays positive and just returns to her workout routines after the holidays. I am grateful for my mom's wonderful example of self worth. As well as my dad's ways of always letting us know he thinks she's beautiful.

You're probably sick of reading by now, but this has really stuck out to me today. So, from henceforth, I will be looking in the mirror every day and letting you know what I discover. Here goes...


PS: I love you all. And you really are beautiful. Really.


*amber*

2 comments:

  1. Amber, this is a fantastic idea. I agree that the push for the world's idea of perfection needs to stop. You're beautiful, my friend! I'm glad you can recognize your own beauty. That in itself is a beautiful quality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to point out one flaw in your blog. Slightly unrelated, but you mentioned that Seth may be blinded by love. Not to be too picky but I think Seth's love does the opposite of blind him. And that is exactly why, of any opinion, his opinion is the most accurate.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails